Tuesday, February 19, 2008

One Paragraph Review: Across the Universe

I love Julie Taymor for her visual style. I think "Titus" has one the best opening sequences in movie history and Frida Kahlo's art comes to life before your eyes in the move "Frida." So I have to say I was incredibly excited for "Across the Universe," Taymor's latest project that uses Beatles songs to interpret the lives of several interwoven characters in the tumultuous 60's. Unfortunately, it didn't live up to my excitement level. About the only thing I did like were some of the cool special-effects visual sequences during the Beatles songs. But the plot was so disjointed it just felt like a bunch of music videos sequenced together to make a film. Trying to combine a rock opera and a typical-talking film just do not work for me.

No comments: