Tuesday, October 14, 2008

One Paragraph Review: Lone Star

I had never even heard of this movie before, so I really can't explain why I ended up watching it one weekend day while flipping through the HD channels. Luckily I caught it right at the beginning and before long I found myself pleasantly very surprised by this film. It did a nice job of telling several separate and interesting stories while unobtrusively sliding in flashbacks to add depth to the characters. But beyond the competent filmmaking, what struck me the most was the film's surprising emotional weight. Maybe I had low expectations for some reason, but the actors - each individually very strong - delivered moments of brutal honesty and real power that I didn't expect. If you happen to come across this in your Netflix queue or while channel surfing, don't pass it up.

No comments: