Thursday, January 29, 2009

One Paragraph Review: Rescue Dawn

I have one complaint about this film, in which Christian Bale portrays the true story of a fighter pilot shot down and captured in Laos during the Vietnam War, and it is a big one. This film had awful pacing and plot development. They only spend about three minutes developing the character, which is not really enough time to get you sucked in or even to get you to like the guy. Then there are two grueling and slow-moving hours detailing his time in prison camp. Then there is about fifteen minutes set aside for his escape and eventual rescue. In sum, I wasn't drawn into the character, I sat through two boring hours, and then I didn't even get to fully appreciate or enjoy his eventual rescue. As much as I love Christian Bale, and appreciate his performance in this movie, I just cannot recommend it.

No comments: