Thursday, February 12, 2009

One Paragraph review: Deja Vu

I'm no physicist but even I found Deja Vu to be lame. The frustrating part is that it starts off promising, with Denzel doing a good jof leading the story in a compelling direction. However, the writers made a seriously bad choice, which I feel is at the heart of my displeasure with this movie. They chose the happy hollywood ending instead of the ending that would make a better, more sane film. I couldn't help but think of 13 Monkeys, which does time travel so brilliantly. Maybe I'm being biased here, but I prefer my time-travel movies to reinforce the idea that no matter what you go back in time and do, what's happened has already happened, and you can't change history. Any other angle falls into the traditional time travel paradoxes. 13 Monkeys beautifully and consistently lays that out. Unfortunately for Deja Vu's writers, if you're Denzel Washington and the life of a beautiful woman who you want to bone is at stake, it turns out that you can, in fact, go back in time and alter history. BOOOOOO!

No comments: