Thursday, January 17, 2008

One Paragraph Review: I Am Legend

Though I had high expectations about I Am Legend due to being familiar with the book's storyline, I really enjoyed most of this movie. New York City was brilliantly re-created here, with more than one scene guaranteed to make you stop and think how exactly they pulled it off. Will Smith does a great job portraying what is a well crafted and well written character. Despite the fact that Neville is essentially alone, the movie maintains a good pace while exploring Neville's mental state and emotions. My one considerable complaint is that the the end of the movie doesn't at all live up to the stage set by the first hour and a half of the movie. I Am Legend comes to a haphazard, coincidental, borderline banal close that really disappoints. Check out the summary of the book for an ending I'd much prefer.

No comments: