Friday, February 13, 2009

One Paragraph Review: The Wrestler

I've come to accept The Wrestler like I eventually come accept other things which I struggle with at first, like lifeless, flat surf on my day off or a girlfriend's late-night-drunken rage. Though I was immediately taken by Rourke's "Randy the Ram," I had a few issues with the film and really felt that some elements of the plot were too weak to support the awesome emotion in certain scenes. A month has gone by, my thoughts have coalesced, and though my qualms with the film still exist, the movie's overwhelming weight has sort of drown them out in my head. The Wrestler is like a dramatic biopic. It is not a film about doing somebody or something justice, or making an argument for a cause; it's about The Ram. It doesn't care whether it leaves you happy or sad, and it doesn't care if you understood why anybody besides The Ram said what they said, or did what they did. All that matters in this entire film is The Ram; you see him and you can't help but feel him.

No comments: